Publication Data: Belmont, MA: Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, 1989
Number of Pages: 176
Dimensions (l × w × h): 21.4 cm × 13.7 cm × 1.4 cm
By Constantine Cavarnos
Volume One of New Library
“In this volume I have brought together reviews and discussions of fifty-two books. I have written these texts over a period of forty years, from 1948 to 1988. [...] have gathered them together in one volume in order to make them easily accessible to scholars and the general reading public. The title of this volume and of others which will follow[...]was suggested by a ninth century work of a somewhat similar nature, the Bibliotheke, ‘Library,’ of St. Photios the Great. The reviews and discussions of books have been selected out of many others that I have written, published and unpublished, chiefly with a view to giving as far as possible a series of significant glimpses of the long Hellenic philosophico-religious tradition, beginning with the classical, pre-Christian period, continuing with the Byzantine, Christian era, and ending with the post-Byzantine or modern centuries.”
ALPHABETICAL LIST OF AUTHORS WHOSE BOOKS ARE REVIEWED
I. BOOKS ON ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHERS
1-3. On Socrates. 4-7. On Plato. 8-10. On Aristotle
II. BOOKS ON BYZANTIUM, ITS PHILOSOPHY, THEOLOGY AND ART
1. On the Byzantine Empire. 2. On Byzantine Philosophy. 3. On Justinian the Great. 4. On St. Photios the Great. 5. The Evergetinos. 6. On St. Gregory Palamas. 7. Cavasilas. 8-9. On Byzantine Art. 10. On Iconography and Rhetoric in Byzantium. 11. On Byzantine Music. 12. On Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Topics.
III. BOOKS BY MODERN GREEK PHILOSOPHERS
1. By Eugenios Voulgaris. 2. By Athanasios Psalidas. 3. By Benjamin of Lesvos. 4. By Gregorios of Lesvos. 5. By Petros Vrailas-Armenis. 6. By E.P. Papanoutsos. 7-8. By P.A. Michelis.
IV. BOOKS BY MODERN GREEK RELIGIOUS WRITERS
1. By Eugenios Voulgaris. 2. By Athanasios Parios. 3. By Konstantinos Oikonomos. 4. By Apostolos Makrakis. 5. By St. Nectarios of Aegina. 6-7. By P.B. Paschos. 8. By Archimandrite Chrysostomos. 9. By Monk Moysis of Athos. 10. By Phoivos Piompinos
V. BOOKS BY RUSSIAN WRITERS
1. By N.A. Motovilov, 2-3. By Feodor Dostoievsky. 4. By Nicholas Berdyaev. 5. By Vladimir Lossky. 6. By Eugene Trubetskoi. 7. By Leonide Ouspensky and Vladimir Lossky.
VI. BOOKS ON HELLENIC COMMUNITIES IN GREECE AND ABROAD
1. On the Hellenes of Ammouliani (near Athos). 2. On the Hellenes in Ethiopia. 3. On the Hellenes in America.
VII. BOOKS ON MODERN GREECE
1. Hellas Observed: The American Experience of Greece. 2. American Poets and the Greek Revolution. 3. The Waters of Marah: The Present State of the Greek Church.
INDEX OF PROPER NAMES
INDEX OF SUBJECTS